Tuesday 5 November 2013

Korea (Seoul) Trip Part II (Trick Eye Museum, Hello Kitty Cafe, Nanta Show)

Day 2 (26 Oct 2013, Monday)

OOTD:
Red/Blue striped cardigan - G2000
Sleeveless white buttoned top - H&M
Jeans - New Look
Pumps - Pazzion

First thing that we did when we stepped out of the hotel is to head to the nearest GS25 (convenience store) to purchase T Money which is similar to SG Ezlink card. The only difference is that it comes as an accessory other than a normal card (as well as internet and mobile T Money)

 Hello Kitty T Money accessory!
(this design is only available at GS25)

I have shortlisted the following designs (Paul Frank is more for Mr Tan) and decided on the pink Hello Kitty heart one as the rest are a little pricey for just 5 days usage.
 (click to view the details on the price and sales location)

I regretted not paying ₩2,000 more for the white Hello Kitty head when i saw the real thing at 7-11. It's a 3D head with swarovski crystal on the pink ribbon! Hello Kitty fans, please get the white Hello Kitty head instead of the pink heart.

We stumbled across Isaac Toast (which I happened to read good reviews about it online).

Isaac Toast (Myeongdong outlet)
24-41 Chungmuro 1-ga, Jung-guSeoulSouth Korea 

Thank god the menu has english description as well
(click to view details)

We were spoilt for choices but we didn't had a hard time ordering cos we ordered what the person in front of us had ordered :p

We ordered no.1 on the menu - Rib Steak MVP (beef + pork + egg + cheese + vege)

The bread was toasted on the spot and its god damn awesome.
 Check out the solid ingredients in it!

The Tans looking very satisfied with their breakfast :)

 Alright, finally we started with the first item in the itinerary after filling up our tummies: Trick Eye Museum

Trick Eye Museum

Add: 357-1, Seogyo-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul Seogyo Plaza B2
서울특별시 마포구 홍익로3길 20 (서교동)

Operating Hours: 09:00 - 21:00

Hongik University Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 9.

Direction: Go straight 150m, cross the road, and turn left onto Hongik-ro Street. Go straight 120m, and turn right down the second side street (in between TONYMOLY and Holika Holika). Continue going 100m to arrive at Trickeye Museum on the right.

It's pretty easy to find actually (okay, we cheated cos we used Google Map). I have to emphasize once again on the importance of buying a prepaid sim card for your phone, esp at a place that you have never been to.

In case you miss it, this is how the museum looks like from the outside.
(not the kind of exterior that I was looking out for actually)


I will be kind and not to spam too many photos that we took at the Trick Eye museum.

Are you ready? Here we go!
.
.
.
.


Help!! Save me!!!

My palm is thicker than what you think

Wine for you?


Hey, give me back my wallet!
(I have the exact same wallet in real life)

When the Giant meets the dwarf

Can you do this?

Hey there, the cloth is on fire!

I saw a Witch! Get me out of here!

I'm pumping Mona Lisa

Cheers!

Brrrrr... I'm so cold in this rainy weather

Get your butt up!

 Don't swallow me!

Once upon a time..
and they live happily ever after.


Adam and Eve


Ahhhh!!! We want to come down but get the dragon away first!

A picture within a picture

Yes, I'm a shopaholic

I told you so, I'm a shopaholic

If only money really drops from the sky like this

The afro Tans

Eons ago, pandas are my distant relatives. That explains my climbing skills and dark rings

Woah!

Perfect angle, perfect shot

Hi, I'm Jeff the FLASHER!

Sorry I lied and spammed so many photos. But trust me, i already filtered away quite a number of photos already.

Ok, lets move on from Trick Eye Museum.

Hello Kitty Cafe was next on the itinerary (very near to Trick Eye Musuem), just in time for our light lunch though we were still quite full from breakfast. 

Hello Kitty Café (헬로키티 카페)

Add: 94-3, Eoulmadang-ro, Mapo-gu, Seoul
Tel: 02-334-6570 
(Exit 5 or 9 from Hongkok University subway station)




We ordered just Sweet Potato Latte and Caramel Waffle to share. No main course or other snacks are on available the menu as compared to the Hello Kitty Cafe at Taipei. The one at Seoul only serves drinks and desserts.


The cafe is pretty big with 3 storeys and it was pretty empty when we were there. Good for me cos I can hop around the tables and take photos without weird stares from strangers.

Even the restroom is nicely decorated according to the theme

In my opinion, you can can give the cafe a miss especially if you have been to the one at Taipei unless you are a big fan of Hello Kitty (like me).

Window shopped (there wasn't anything suitable for SG weather to buy) at Hongkik University area. The sun was scorching hot and I had to remove my cardigan though the wind was quite cooling.


Took the subway (1 station) and popped over to Ewha Womans University area. It's another popular shopping area (like Hongkik University) which sells fashionable clothings at affordable price. I told myself that I might not be able find anything to buy there due to the change in season. And yes, I was right and didn't buy a single thing there at all.

Our consolation at Ewha Womans University area is this stall that we stumbled across after existing from #2 of Ewha Womans University subway station

Yummy chicken + rice cake in a cup 
 Comes in small cup/large cup/box. This is the small cup)

Our second consolation is to be able to view the beautiful sight of Ewha Womans University. I would gladly go to school everyday if my campus looks like this.







We went back to Myeongdong to shop which was unplanned as we had spare time left from the unfruitful shopping at Hongkik and Ewha University area. 

Need I say more about Myeongdong? You can find many cosmetic brands, shoes shop, street food stalls, restaurants, Zara, H&M, Forever 21, departmental stores etc. Basically, you can find e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.


There are many stalls selling freshly-squeezed lemon juice which is a must-try when you are there.

 The lemon juice is mixed together with soda water to give you a very refreshing feel.

We tried this egg thingy (feels like egg muffin to me) which is good too!

My legs were on the verge of breaking from all the walking and I began my search for a nice and comfy pair of New Balance sneakers at Myeondong. Finally bought a pair which is 1 size smaller than my usual size but I was desperate and I really like the colour (I couldn't find my size despite combing all the possible shoe shops at Myeongdong. I kid you not).

One advantage of staying at Myeondong is that you can always go back to your hotel to put your shopping loots!

We met up with my cousin (Melvin) and his girlfriend (Shenlyn) who were in Seoul for a Holiday too to watch the Nanta Show together. Apperently it is a very popular show in Korea with daily performances. We booked our tickets online 1 month in advance and were only left with limited seats. This is how popular it is. 

Myengdong Nanta Theatre

Add: Unesco Building 3F, 50-14, Myeong Dong 2 Ga, Jung Gu, Seoul
Myeong-dong station exit 6.

Direction: Walk straight for 200m along Myeong-dong Jungang street. Turn left at Teenieweenie store and walk straight for 50m. Theatre is located at Lvl 3 of the building (Skin Food is at Lvl 1)

Bought the VIP tickets (usual price ₩60,000; after 20% discount: ₩ 48,000)

The girl is so damn hot in real life that I couldn't take my eyes off her most of the time during the show


 All ready for the Nanta Show!

This was the view from our seats without zooming in. 
( totally worth the ticket price)

Jeff and I were starving by the end of the show as we didn't had any proper meal throughout the day.

Together with Melvin and Shenlyn, we went for late dinner/early supper at this BBQ place at Myeondong.


click to view details of the menu

The usual free flow appetizer
(we refilled 3 times at least)

We ordered pork belly and pork ribs. 
They tasted so good that we can't had enough of them and ordered a few more servings


Seafood pancake
(I love this!)

Almost forgot that we ordered this stew after we finished the BBQ meat and pancake.
Thank god I still had some space left in my tummy for this.


Group photo :)


I drank soju for the first time in my life and I didn't like it. I don't know if its an age issue, I prefer beer more than hard liquor these days.

My night didn't end with Korean BBQ.
Bought Jagabee (butter flavour) and banana milk at 7-11 to complete my supper. 

As i mentioned, shopping wasn't too great for me in Seoul. Don't be too surprised with what you see below on the things that I bought on Day 2 (technically my day 1 in Seoul) for my shopping standards.

1) The Face Shop Raspberry Collagen Eye Mask - highly raved
  • ₩ 1,650/pair (approx SGD 2)
  • SG is selling at $3.90


2) Laneige BB Cushion - highly raved
  • ₩ 37,000 (approx SGD 44)
  • SG is selling at $59

3) New Balance 574
  • ₩ 99,000



If you have read till the end (till this point), THANK YOU for reading my lengthy post :D

No comments:

Post a Comment